Archduke

Group:
Honour:
+780

What is your opinion on this group ?

vimeo.com/81602661

block_rounder4
icon10  view post Posted on 12/12/2014, 20:28     +1   +1   -1

QUOTE (flowerspower @ 12/12/2014, 10:53) 
What is your opinion on this group ?

vimeo.com/81602661

That is a charmingly simple question, but I should sincerely hope that you would not be satisfied with an equally simple answer. As this forum is not political, but rather aesthetic, any political discussion runs the risk of precipitating internal conflict that we do not need, or, at the very least, it runs a more immediate risk of being off topic.

Those objections notwithstanding, of course I am willing to engage your question.

First, let us remember that there has been a previous posting here at NOS acknowledging the group, FEMEN, a while back. That posting included a picture of a naked and graffiti-scribbled Aliyah al-Mahdi, the former Cairo coed who fled to Stockholm to protest against Sharia Law as imposed by the Muslim Brotherhood. The MB has since been deposed and banished by the Egyptian military.

I suppose my opinion of FEMEN is rather the same as my opinion of Feminism in general, which is to say that I probably agree with it in regard to some basic complaints but disagree with what would appear to be core assumptions of gender-based ideology and rhetoric. Which is to say, I agree when I agree and I disagree when I disagree.

Of course I am in complete accord with FEMEN's protest against Sharia Law in Egypt. I am also in complete accord with FEMEN's apparent position of solidarity with the Russian rock band Pussy Riot, which the current Czar did not find amusing.

Edited by block_rounder4 - 13/12/2014, 08:01

view post Posted on 13/12/2014, 11:34     -1   +1   -1

Archduke

Group:
Honour:
+780

Oppression needs to be fought but probably not through the aggressive and provocative methods they have opted for, it can only bring the opposite reaction. Roaming around naked in Muslim countries will provoke reject, and not only from the conservative men, but many women as well. And this is a kind of cultural imperialism, who are they to impose values that are alien to the local cultures ?

FEMEN denies or forgets that there are local movements trying to change the situation but not with stupid shows. Many of their manifestations are conducted in France or in the West, what a nonsense, they are 50 years too late.

These radical djihadists with boobs will certainly remain marginal regarding their effects.

---
"any political discussion runs the risk of precipitating internal conflict that we do not need", that supposes people are not able to participate in debates in a polite way. In many boards, political discussions are banned, in our "great democracies", we, the champion of the "free speech" (free provided we say and do nothing), what a joke.

block_rounder4
view post Posted on 13/12/2014, 12:56     +1   +1   -1

@ fp -- You asked for an opinion, and now you are angry. That is why political discussions belong in political forums. Actually, I do not disagree with what you are saying about street theatre, but I also see the other side of the coin. Rude behavior offends people, but if you wish to challenge their core assumptions and you don't get their attention in some provocative manner they will simply ignore whatever message you are seeking to deliver. Some people do, however, take their own trip too seriously.

Nonetheless,

nakedonstage.forumfree.it/?t=64349725

ADDENDUM -- As to "local customs" or whatever. In some parts of the U.S. back in the first half of the 20th century, public lynchings were carried out with impunity. In some parts of the world today, that is still the local custom. I would go so far as to say that any truly progressive struggle is a struggle against local customs.

UPDATE -- I want you to know that I am not the person who gave your comment a red-strike (negative point). I do not know who did it.

Edited by block_rounder4 - 13/12/2014, 16:31

view post Posted on 14/12/2014, 12:53     +1   +1   -1

Archduke

Group:
Honour:
+780

Angry ? Not at all, just expressed an opinion :D

Anyway, let us return to what we are: little brainless apolitical goods consumers. The world does not need anything else ;)

4 replies since 12/12/2014, 16:53   609 views